The life of Janet Anderson Hardy from 1981 to 1999 in San Diego Area, California. Home on Camberwell Lane, Rancho Bernardo 1988-1997.

Rose Parade with Meagan, John's Condo in Pasadena, Frustration and Gloom 1998

January 1, 1998 I spent New Years Eve at John's condo while Meagan worked.  John and I talked and he packed items.  He is getting ready to paint his kitchen cupboards.  He cooked pasta and I learned about South Florida Everglades and National Park.  It was an enjoyable time.

In the Morning Meagan and I walked over to the Rose Parade.  We had a good standing place and it started 10 minutes after we arrived.  I loved the parade.  I had never been there in person before.  I thought the Asian girls were the prettiest.  After the parade I brought Meagan home and enjoyed visiting and eating at Bagel Stop on the way.  In the afternoon I sat and watched the Rose Bowl, Michigan won and I put all Christmas decorations away and then ate candied popcorn.

January 2, 1998 I was frustrated at work again.  Just can't get enough done the way I want it.  Why am I having such a hard time?  Why am I so stressed and hating it so much?  I have this empty feeling in the pit of my stomach all the time. Camber and I went to Pucks for supper and then to a movie about slave trading.  It is hard to believe man can be so evil and cruel.  It was enjoyable though, Camber is very smart and beautiful.  Later I walked and ate candied popcorn again.

January 3, 1998 Meagan came over after I had a good day for a change, got a good start on what I wanted to do.  We went shopping at Fashion Valley and Meagan found a great deal on 3 pairs of shoes and I bought her a sweater.  We ate Cinnabons, cookies and candy!

 January 4, 1998  I bore my testimony today but did not say anything I wanted to.  But I did forget myself and focus on life, I want to find joy and love in all I do and forget petty feelings that are not good.  I'm feeling positive and focusing on what is important.  I think all of 7th Ward needs to get closer.  Seems all are strangers, not just me.  I need to find joy in the moment.

January 5, 1998 Dad's birthday.  He was such a good man.  Wonder if he and Richard see each other.  I am enjoying reading Marvelous Work and A Wonder.  Brigham Young in it a lot, I would enjoy teaching from the RS Manual this year I think.

January 18, 1998 It was another one of those very sad and lonely Sundays.  I had to force myself to stay at Church.  I did stay and Sharon and Doreen sat by me.  I felt sorry for the RS lady teaching Brigham Young.  She was having such a hard time.  I still have not received a call.  The Bishop walked right by me, doesn't know me at all.  The ward is a big ward but I wonder why I am so insignificant.  I want to believe the Lord loves me but I've lost everything and it doesn't 't seem I'll ever find warmth and happiness again.  I do not know what to do.  I wonder what will happen to Associated, I doubt anyone thinks I am needed.  I am not needed anywhere it seems.  I went out to the cemetery today.  Bandido and I.  I saw Kim Jensen's tombstone and the Castellano twin.  I just sat on the tombstone next to Richard's after putting a rose in the vase and thought about everything.  It is beautiful out there, but I am so alone.  What is in store for me?

April, 1998 The cycle goes on, depressed, working to get undepressed.  I enjoyed teaching a class in RS on Brigham Young, but they did not call me to be a teacher.  I did not involve the class much but many told me what a good lesson it was.

I am now out of the mortgage business.  Thank heaven.  I am just doing data base, letters, paying bills, keeping books, etc.  I think I will enjoy this.  

I've been in the ward since July and still don't have a calling.  It makes me feel bad that no one can see any value in me.

For about the last month Nadine has been walking with me in the mornings and I really do enjoy that.  She has also gotten me into doing Memory Books and I am now doing a Christmas Book as well as Richard's.  We also go to the movies!!!  So without Nadine I'd really be lonely. She is the only person I have every helped convert (introduced her to the Church, took her to Relief Society and sent the missionaries)..about 30 years ago, she was my hairdresser.  She would hear Margot and I talk under the dryers about what we were doing together and she began to ask me questions about the Church.  She is a lot younger, divorced Mom with a child, who is an adult, now, of course.  She also has her Mom in the same apartment building.

I just spent a week at Maria's.  I do not feel lonely but I sense Maria is always ready to get on with other things.  I do get invited to Linda's to do things occasionally and although I live at Jimmy's I really don't do much with them, though they probably feel the opposite.  

I can see the longer I am alone the more the families will leave me to my own devices.  John never calls or comes down but I do call him and Meagan occasionally.  It is so hard to believe I lived a busy full life and now have nothing and no identity or worth.  I need to get a life!!!!

I am not very fun to be around though, that is for sure.

May 10, 1998 Mother's Day and all is well.  I read these back pages of my journal and cannot believe I have been so depressed.  I have had fun fixing up my bathroom and a new office as James and Camber have also fixed up the home and it really looks nice.  All is well.  I've been asked to teach RS lesson and worry that I can't do it well.  Nadine and I are looking for beach bikes to add to our walking.  I have been feeling peace in my life.  So glad to be out of the mortgage business.  I'm happy about the little office and separate garage and my own back door.  I am doing a lot of different kind of work for James and WMA and so far, so good!!